Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1 year of Motherhood

*I meant to post this on Monday, but I've had a sick little girl on my hands all weekend & week. Better late then never, right?*

Last week we celebrated my daughter's 1st Birthday. I'm still in shock that we have a one year old toddling around our home, but as I look back over the last year and remember all the craziness I realize so much has changed. I definitely am no longer the person I was a year ago and I'm okay with it. In fact I kinda like this "new" me. Here's five major things that are different:

1. My priorities. Duh! Every mother can tell you that, but it's not just now I have a kid and everything I do effects her. No, it's far deeper than that. For example sleep is my number one priority. If I don't get enough rest, everything starts to fall apart. So when my girl keeps me up all night and I'm tired the next morning, I'll work only half day at day job and make sure I nap with her in the afternoon. My bedtime is an hour after my girl goes to sleep. Non-negotiable. Her bedtime is 7 so that means I'm in bed by 8, unless I don't have to work the next day. Which means the latest I'll go to bed is 9. Sleep played a huge roll in overcoming postpartum depression and I never want to go there again. If I'm going to be the mother I need to be for my girl I'm in bed by 8 end of story.

2. Eating healthy. I've always been somewhat of a healthy eater, but ever since my girl started eating big people food, I noticed I actually indulge in junk food more often than I originally thought. She sees me putting something in my mouth, she immediately wants to eat it too. I would never dream of feeding my child junk so am I eating it? Over the last couple of months I've done an overhaul in the kitchen. All the produce is organic, I cook more things from scratch because then I know what's actually in the food I'm giving my girl, and I make sure that I have plenty of healthy snacks on hand. End result is that I feel so much better. I don't feel deprived or crave unhealthy stuff except for the occasional pizza and there ain't nothing wrong with that. *wink*

3. Active. I'm in far better shape now than I was before I got pregnant. I've been going to the gym weekly or biweekly, skiing with hubby once a week, doing 20-30 minutes of yoga 2-3 times a week, and going for a good 45 minute walk 1 or 2 times a week. All because I have a little girl who is active and I need to keep up. My yoga time involves her too, unless I'm taking a class at the gym. We do downward-facing dog together and her giggles make those minutes so much fun. We also like to put on Enigma or Lindsey Stirling on Pandora and dance.

4. Being Present. There's nothing in the world that will get you to live in the moment than a child. My girl has been an awesome teacher to say the least and I can't thank her enough. By being present I've discovered the beauty of awareness and that lovely space in time when I pause to think about what I'm going to do or say next. My stress level has dropped too because I'm taking time to play drums or read a book with my girl instead of thinking about what I'm going to cook for super or what I'm going to do tomorrow at work. This leads me to my final point:

5. Deeper spiritual connection. I'm not just talking about connection to God or higher self, although both are super important, I'm also referring to the world around me and to people I surround myself with. Everyone is on their own spiritual path and they are doing the best they can. Every mother I come in contact with is giving her all and what I may see doesn't necessarily mean she's not doing things right because there really isn't a right or wrong way. There is only what is right for that person or for me in this moment. That's all that matters. What worked yesterday might not work today or what works for me may not work for you and it's perfectly okay. We're all in this together.

I'm so thankful for my darling princess. She has changed my world and made it so much better. I love you, baby girl.
 Tune in next week for Chapter 2 of The Art of Extreme Self-care read-a-long"postpartum style!"

No comments:

Post a Comment