Saturday, September 14, 2013

Baby is home, now what?



Okay new mama, I’m sure you’ve been given a million suggestions and more advice than you know what to do with while in the hospital about what you need to do for yourself when you get home. You’re probably so tired that you don’t remember or even give a rat’s ass about any of it. So I’m going to break it down into the top 3 you need to do for yourself: Sleep, Eat, & Self-care.

Sleep? I know, it sounds as foreign as a pedicure on Mars, but LET. ME. TELL. YOU. Sleep is where it’s at. When someone says “I can come hold the baby so you can take a nap” TAKE them up on it, girlfriend. When your partner is home or a family member you trust is visiting, hand that little bundle of bewildered joy over, put some ear plugs in, draw the drapes, turn a fan on, and SLEEP. You may have a hard time getting to sleep at night as you will be waking every two hours to nurse. If you find yourself in that situation, drink a small cup of strong sleepy-time tea or take a quick hot bath with some lavender essential oil. The best way to bounce back from the labor and delivery is to get rest.

Eat. I had a hard time eating after I had my daughter, mostly because of postpartum depression, but I knew I had to eat something if I wanted to have enough milk for her. What helped me with my lack of appetite were smoothies and milk shakes. Those first few weeks home make sure your fridge is stocked with quick high calorie snacks that will help you get the most nutrition. Here’s some healthy suggestions: organic yogurt smoothies, organic cheese sticks, whole grain crackers, fig bars, fresh fruit, nuts, energy bars, and Amy’s hot pocket sandwiches and frozen dinners.

Self-care? “Are you on crack?” You might ask. No, darling, I’m not. Self-care is sooo important. As you get caught up caring for your baby, you’ll forget to shower, brush your teeth, or even use the bathroom. Guess what? It doesn’t have to be like that. Your partner can hold the baby for ten minutes so you shower or brush your hair and put some makeup on. And if you are in desperate need hygiene care and find yourself alone, you can put the baby in a bouncy chair or carseat and bring them into the bathroom with you. Often times the sound of the shower is very soothing for the baby. You don’t have to take half hour. Even 5-10 minutes can do wonders to your spirits and give you a much-needed boost of energy. 

Congrats mama! I know it’s hard, but you can do this. Just remember to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment